If you’re looking through your refrigerator and ingredients are getting slim, we have the recipe for you! This Chickpea Chili recipe is perfect for using up those extra veggie scraps to create a quick and totally delicious dish. The best part? The crunchy topping is brought to you by HIPPEAS!
HIPPEAS® Chickpea Chili
Ingredients• 1 can of organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• ½ small organic onion, chopped
• 2 cloves organic garlic, minced
• ½ organic green or red pepper, chopped
• 1 organic jalapeno, chopped – optional (if you like it spicy!)
• 3 stalks organic celery, chopped
• 1 cup organic corn (fresh or frozen)
• 1 (14.5oz) can organic diced tomatoes or 2 large fresh tomatoes, diced
• 3oz organic tomato paste (about half of a can)
• ½ cup water
• 2 tbsp organic olive or avocado oil
• Seasoning – use what you have!
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crushed red pepper to taste
• HIPPEAS Organic Tortilla Chips for serving! We paired with Straight Up Sea Salt & Jalapeno Vegan Cheddar
Directions1. Heat a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add oil, onions, garlic and chickpeas. Stirring occasionally, let your chickpeas get nice and crispy!
3. After 5-8 minutes, turn the heat down to medium and add your tomatoes, tomato paste, water and seasonings. Stir and let simmer for 3 minutes
4. Add your veggies!
5. Simmer on low for 30 minutes with the lid on.
Pro-tip! If you like your chili on the thicker side, mix 1 tsp of organic masa (corn flour) with 1 tbsp of warm water. Once mixed, add to your chili and stir until fully mixed. Repeat until you get your desired consistency.
To ServeTop with HIPPEAS Organic Tortilla Chips crumble or top your favorite HIPPEAS Organic Tortilla Chips with the chili for a cool spin on nachos!